Deep Kalra is the founder and group CEO of MakeMyTrip. MakeMyTrip offers customers a host of travel booking services: flights, hotel reservations, holiday packages, cab and train bookings, bus tickets and more.
Launched as a service for NRIs in the US to book flights for trips back home, MakeMyTrip has today grown into India’s largest online travel company with a revenue of $500+ million in 2020. Deep holds a bachelor’s degree from St. Stephen's College, Delhi University and anMBA degree from IIM Ahmedabad, class of 1992.
Career History & Startup Company Growth
After completing his MBA from IIM-A, Deep worked at ABN Amro for 3 years. His first somewhat entrepreneurial stint came after, working with AMF Bowling to set up operations in India. The venture failed to take off and Deep went back to the corporate world, working as VP of Business Development at GE Capital. Around this time, he sold his wife’s car online for a sum greater than he expected - and this was the spark that nudged him towards e-commerce. Since Indians in the late 90s were still skeptical of making payments online, Deep launched MakeMyTrip in the United States, offering flights to India.
5 years later, MMT began operations in India - and today, is among the most successful startups to have emerged in the travel space.
Deep runs an NGO, I Am Gurgaon, focused on improving the quality of life of Gurgaon citizens. He is a member of Ashoka University’s governing body, a member of NASSCOM’s Executive Council and Chairman of NASSCOM’s Internet Working Group. He has also invested in many ventures such as Intel Capital, Blume Ventures, Sequoia Capital India and many more.
The MakeMyTrip Journey
- 2000: Launched in the US market to cater to the overseas Indian community for their US to India travel needs.
- 2005: Started Indian operations by offering online flight tickets to Indian travelers & also started to focus on non-air businesses like holiday packages and hotel bookings.
- 2010: Listed on the NASDAQ after its initial public offering.
- 2011: Created several travel-related apps for mobile devices & also acquired several ventures to enter new markets in Southeast Asia and Europe.
- 2014: Instituted a $15 million innovation fund to support travel start-ups.
- 2015: Acquired MyGola, a travel planning website as well as invested in HolidayIQ & Bona Vita Technologies.
- 2016: Chinese travel booking company Ctrip agrees to invest $180 million in MakeMyTrip.
- 2018: The company has 14 company-owned travel stores in 14 cities.
- Best Online Travel Agent (OTA) Award by Galileo-Express Travel World in 2007.
- Announced “Superbrand” by Consumer Superbrands India in 2009.
- Most Preferred Travel and Holiday Website by IMINT Shoppers and Consumer Insights Awards in 2010.
- Ranked #1 in a list of most powerful digital influencers in India by KPMG in 2011.
- “Best Online Travel Service Firm” Award by Times Travel Honours in 2011.
- Best Travel Innovator by Travel Distribution World Asia Awards (Budgie & Travel Awards) in 2012.
- “Best Travel Portal India” Award by World Travel Awards in 2014.
- “E-tailer of the Year” award by ET Retail Awards in 2013 & again in 2014.
- CII’s Tourism sub-committee Member.
Deep Kalra’s net worth is estimated at around $136 Million as of 2020.
Deep Kalra dives into his journey as an entrepreneur and the challenges, highs and lows faced while building MakeMyTrip ,in the INSIGHTS series podcast. - INSIGHTS #37 – Deep Kalra on building India’s first consumer internet success- MakeMyTrip | SEED TO SCALE Podcast Series by Accel (insightspodcast.in)
Quote from Deep Kalra
“However big or small, make it a good business, make it a clean business, make it a business you are very proud of.”
Deep Kalra, CEO & Founder of MakeMyTrip
Couldn’t find anything to read?
/Load a random article
/Explore all articles